Thursday, September 15, 2011

Notes on Swee/>ing

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I swee/> my house in a day. Three.... five...... maybe seven? I can't kee/> track. In a house of tile floors and a million ants />oised to attack a single crumb, one child with one cracker can create an immediate (catastro/>hic) need to swee/>. Since the more likely scenario at my house is actually three children with a box of 25 crackers....well, you can see where I'm going right?
Every morning, after breakfast, I swee/> my floors with a soft, />ink, store bought broom. I then swee/> my />orch with a traditional Samoan broom which is basically a bundle of long, soft, weeds that are braided into a knot at one end. I use this same broom for swee/>ing the walkways and car/>ort. Finally, I have a long handled, stiff bristled, Samoan broom which is used in />lace of a rake. This I use to swee/> the leaves and fallen oranges (lemons? limes?) into the "rubbish" burn />ile in the corner of the yard. It is mind boggling how many leaves and seed />ods can fall from the jungle folliage of my yard in a day. I am guessing that many Samoans swee/> their yards every day or so, but you know me...I'm lucky if I can get it done every week or two. I am often scolded by my neighbor's maid about the state of my yard, but for crying out loud! I must s/>end 75% of my daily housework in swee/>ing one thing or another. (The other 75% is s/>ent on laundry) The last thing I want to do is swee/> each crummy leaf into a />ile! But, that's what I find myself doing....one leaf at a time.....at least until I hear the cry from the house "Mom.....Noah has the box of crackers again!"

No comments:

Post a Comment