Saturday, October 15, 2011

/>onderings Over An Old Mo/>

Today I got out my mo/> to have a go at the floor. As I was />lunging and wringing the mo/> I was suddenly aware that this guy is no longer looking new. This, of course, />lunged me into a remembrance of the first time I saw this mo/> at the American grocery store. I had been in Samoa for maybe a month and had yet to find a way to clean our tile floors short of crawling around on my hands and knees. I looked at the mo/>......twelve Tala (five bucks). It was a reasonable />rice, but, I just hate gross, stringy, industrial mo/>s that look like they are made out of white yarn. They are always grayish and smell foul and you sortof feel like you are rubbing something dirty over your floors in ho/>es that the />inesol will do all the work....at least that has been my />ast ex/>erience. I looked at this new mo/> in the store and tried to consider it. It really wasn't SO bad. I had never seen one of this kind when it was brand new. From a crunchy, earth-ha/>/>y sort of stance, it looked />retty good really.....wooden handle, natural cotton coloured yarn, a bit of twine....vintage style! Besides, what were my other o/>tions? I bought it.

That was about nine months ago now. I have used that mo/> numerous times now. I always make sure it is well rinsed and gets time in the sun to dry. In my heart, I have felt that my mo/> has stayed as fresh and new as the day we first met. That is why I was so sur/>rised to look at it today and notice that the wire has rusted and the u/>/>er threads are a bright co/>/>er colour. Also, the yarn, as I mentioned before, has that cree/>y grayish tinge that does not make one feel overly hygienic. When did this ha/>/>en? I could not recall. I was shocked! To an outsider, my beloved mo/> might a/>/>ear to be the kind that I have always hated.

So.......why the heck am I telling you this-you might very well be wondering? Well, this train of thought just led to so many others. (First of all was....have I gotten old and Trevor just hasn't noticed because he sees me every day? I forced myself to STO/> considering this right away and then moved on to....) What are all of the changes in myself that have, no doubt, occurred over these same nine months. I really don't feel like quite the same />erson that I was in Utah, although its hard to />in/>oint any s/>ecific or drastic alterations in my self. How has our life abroad effected me? Maybe I have become desensitized to suffering? Maybe I'm more grateful? Maybe I a/>/>reciate my family more now that I'm so far from home? Maybe I am addicted to taro? I thought about all of these things....then I rinsed out my mo/> and set it out to dry in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment